dh 7 DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 07:01:35 GMT 2009

Hi Jonathan

(why do we keep on chatting on random mailing list? ;-) I see a pattern now)

2009/12/20 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>:
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>
>> Does dh 7 and the rest handle DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS?
>>
>> Specifically parallel=n option with autoconf projects.
>
> I think DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS is used by dpkg-buildpackage, not by all the
> debhelper scripts.  How would you expect them to make use of it?
>
> Do you have a package build where the dh_* scripts themselves are taking
> so long, and seem to be CPU-bound, that you need them to parallelize
> their work?
>
> I doubt dh_* scripts are going to be doing things in parallel
> themselves, it is usually only when they call dpkg-buildpackage to do
> the "real" build work than you'd really need/want paralellism to happen
> anyway.
>
> Note: This does not imply that I qualify as a "mentor" :)
>
> Jonathan

Actually after further investigation it can!

Note I'm taking about dh which is like CDBS done right [1].

They use a few dh_auto_* commands which detect build system and
actually build the package.

And debhelper started [2] to support this for makefile derived classes
starting with 7.4.4 version (18 Nov 2009). I'm always one step behind.
Wanted to suggest this feature. It parses env DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS (which
is set on the auto-builders) and uses that info to build package in
parallel if maintainer enabled it.

Xiphos is build with dh by the way. I'll add --parallel and see
whether build-time improves.

We might consider switching sword to dh as well. Similar length rules
& parallel builds ;-)

[1] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/cdbs_killer___40__design_phase__41__/

With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),