Eagle package update?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 5 02:51:52 BST 2009

Shashank Chintalagiri wrote:

> I'd like to point out that the Stable released Eagle version is 5.40 while
> that in the repos is 4.17r2. Is this on purpose due to some licensing
> issues, or is it just a matter of the requirement of a maintainer. If it is
> the later, I'd like to volunteer to help maintain the eagle packages (I
> might need some pointers/help in this regard, but on the whole I should be
> able to handle most of the required work)

I do not think the licence for the "Light Edition" of Eagle has changed
since 4.x.  It is still binary only, and free of cost for "non-profit or
evaluation only", which is clearly a non-OSI non-DFSG compliant licence.

I'd suggest that you contact the current packager, Shaun Jackman
<sjackman at debian.org> and ask about working with him on packaging the
newer version.

If many people feel, as Dima does, that Eagle 5.x is sufficiently
"different" from 4.x, then you could consider packaging the newer one as
 (say) eagle5, leaving the current eagle packages in parallel, so that
people can choose whichever one they prefer.

If you need specific pointers/help with the actual packaging work,
asking on IRC in #ubuntu-motu is probably the best way to get good fast
help when you need it.

You should be aware that the non-free nature of Eagle means that using a
free-as-in-freedom alternative such as gEDA is likely to be preferable
to many in the Ubuntu community.  Ubuntu's gEDA packages also seem to be
slightly out of date, so you might consider helping package the current
stable 1.4.3.20081231 version of gEDA, too?

Jonathan