fixing a bug: file missing error...

Gauvain Pocentek gauvainpocentek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 05:58:02 GMT 2008

Hi,

Efrain wrote:
> I am trying to fix a bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kipina/+bug/295401  , I have
> tracked down the error to a missing xml file to be loaded from
> /home/$username/.kipina
>
> In my update of this package I moved some paths to make the packages
> cleaner when installing.
>
> in debian/rules:
>  mv $(CURDIR)/debian/kipina/usr/etc $(CURDIR)/debian/kipina/etc
>
>  as a result of this one file with preset data for the app goes
> missing. I need to make kipina-presetdata.xml file currently on /etc/
> in /home/$username/.kipina
>

> I have spent some time reading usefull the always usefull guide for
> new maintainers
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.es.html#s-destdir)
> in debian but I can't seem to find references to installing files in
> the username folder as a config file...
>
> Could anyone give me a hint on how I should do this?

The problem comes from the options passed to ./configure. By default the
system conf dir is $(prefix)/etc (so /usr/etc here), and the software
uses this in its code. Make sure to pass --sysconfdir=/etc to
./configure, and don't 'mv /usr/etc /etc' in debian/rules. That should
do the trick.

Cheers,
Gauvain