Questions: Merges, Intrepid pbuilder

Cesare Tirabassi norsetto at ubuntu.com
Tue May 6 11:14:07 BST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 06:23:52 Andrew wrote:

> I'm wondering what's the best way for a  new contributer to get
> involved in the process?

This wiki page should provide all the needed info:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Merging

> I understand that you should email the last uploader of a package to make
> sure you are not duplicating work.

Not just that, the previous uploader may also give you some insight about what
needs to be done, or if it is indeed necessary to do anything. Note that you
can also contact him/she via #ubuntu-motu.

> I just  don't know the landscape of of who is working with what packages
> yet.

DaD has a specific field which is used for this purpose, I heartily recommend
your use it wisely, also check if there is any open bug in launchpad about
the merge/sync.

> I don't want to spend a lot of time emailing different people (and
> being told they're on it) as opposed actually working on merges.

You prefer to waste time doing the sync/merge and discover later that somebody
already did it or that it was not necessary (or even harmfull)?

> If not, are there any MOTU Mentors out there with specific
> packages of which they are the last uploaders that they'd rather not
> deal with and would assign to me? Feel free to contact me off list.

I had one but I offered it via #ubuntu-motu. I'm quite sure others will pop
up, so just stay tuned.

> Another question:
>
> I'm trying to use the pbuilder-dist script to create pbuilders for
> multiple distributions. Both Debian Sid and Ubuntu Intrepid are failing.
>

>    I: Installing core packages...
>    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /var/cache/pbuilder/build/22927/.
>     dpkg --force-depends --install
> var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-10_i386.deb
> pbuilder: debootstrap failed
>     -> Aborting with an error
>     -> cleaning the build env
>        -> removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//22927 and its
> subdirectories

This is a know bug (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=479202)

Cesare