Working with debianized sources not in ubuntu

Cesare Tirabassi norsetto at ubuntu.com
Sun May 4 14:32:31 BST 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 14:31:15 Tim Bielawa wrote:

> The package I'll be updating and packaging for Ubuntu/Debian has an
> incorrect directory layout (<package>-<version> instead of
> <package>_<version>) and their FSF address is outdated, along q
> with an "ancient" outdated Standards: version.

I think you are confusing the tarball name with the source tree top-level
directory name.
Debian policy requires for non-native source packages an upstream tarball name
to be in the form <package>_<upstream-version>.orig.tar.gz, while the
top-lever directory of your source tree should be of the form
<package>-<upstream-version>.
For additional info, you may want to check the man page of dpkg-source, a tool
to manipulate Debian source packages.
A word of caution about the Standards-Version field. It relates to the version
of the Debian policy to which the package complies, it may or may not entail
packaging changes.
To this end, in the debian-policy package you will find the file
upgrading-checklist.txt which indicates policy changes between versions of
the policy.

Cesare