Guidelines/Schedule for Mentoring Process

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Aug 5 19:29:23 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 13:21 -0500, Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo wrote:

> So, since this is a mentoring program which tries to get people
> involved
> with Ubuntu Development, I think that there should be a list of things
> that
> must be covered through the process with specific tasks (excercises),
> so
> that every mentee has a basic overview of the *Complete* Ubuntu
> development
> process (And not just the things they would like to learn). After the
> mentoring program has ended, each mentee can decided where they would
> like
> to contribute in.

Having a list of things that mentees should be familiar with sounds like
it could be a good idea. I think everyone should at least know what
a merge is, what a sync is, etc, whether or not they do any
of them.

However, I don't think that a list of tasks that everyone must complete
is a good idea. The point of having a mentoring system, rather than
a teaching one, is to have a tailored learning experience.

You could draw up that list of tasks and use it to ask mentees what
they might like to work on though.

Thanks,

James