Getting a new Ubuntu package into the distribution

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 20 09:16:07 BST 2007

Hello Neil,

Am Donnerstag, den 14.06.2007, 12:32 +0100 schrieb Neil Wilson:
> I've had a look around the Wiki and I haven't been able to find a
> specific answer to what I want to do. I'm hoping I can get a steer
> from here. Apologies if I violate any protocols - I'm new to this.

Before your package is accepted in the Ubuntu Archive, you will need to
get it reviewed first. http://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVU has more information
on that.

> Now because there is nothing to compile, the existing guidance seems
> to miss the mark. I was wondering whether anybody can give me some
> guidance as to how to proceed with script-based packages that pull in
> scripts from all over the place, and what the chances are of getting
> these sort of packages into the distribution.

You could take a look at easy packages like example-content - it's quite
big, but uses CDBS and debian/install to install packages in the place.
No 'Upstream Build System' at all.

Hope that helps.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel