Fakesyncs

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 13 14:21:00 BST 2007

Hello everybody,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2007, 12:39 +0100 schrieb Andy Price:
> Please could somebody clarify what a fakesync is? I've come across this
> term a few times recently but I can't find anything on the wiki about it
> apart from meeting minutes which refer to it. How does a fakesync differ
> from a normal sync or merge? And when would we need to do one?

two cases come to my mind, where we can't easily merge from Debian:

      * different .orig.tar.gz: Imagine Ubuntu packaging 1.2.3-0ubuntu1
        of software A, now Debian packages 1.2.3-1 and we want to sync
        it. If the .orig.tar.gz files have a different md5sum (because
        of repackaged tarballs for example), the sync won't work. In
        that case, we'll do a fakesync and apply the Debian packaging to
        the Ubuntu tarball, so we can keep the same .orig.tar.gz in the
        archive.
      * higher version number: this can either happen if we introduce an
        epoch (1:2.3.4-0ubuntu1 and 2.3.4-1 in Debian) or if we decide
        to ship a newer version of it (think development releases vs.
        stable releases). In that case we need to manually merge the
        Packaging changes.

In both cases it's not a sync at all, but something done manually.

Also when the Build setup was broken, we sometimes had to upload
1.2.3-1build1 packages, which were effectively just 1.2.3-1 from Debian
with an added changelog entry. X-YbuildZ (No Change) uploads will be
overwritten by the automatic syncs.

Hope that helps.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel