Mentors

Rick Hodgin foxmuldr at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 11 13:04:37 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 11:52 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> Hello Rick,
>
> in your quest for a Mentor, we would like to know if there is any
> preference you have. Since you mention several years of experience,
> I think you would like to profit on that?
> Is any of these topics more suited to your own interests?
>
> Edubuntu
> Utopia related stuff (dbus, hal, ...)
> Mozilla
> Python
> Network-related packages
>
> Mind you, that's the main focus but your mentor will be happy to guide
> you through your generic packaging activities nonetheless.
> If you don't have any preference let us know.

Cesare, et al, Edubuntu has some interest for me.  I'm not sure what you
mean by Network-related packages.  I have some ideas in this area as
well, things I have nearly completely developed in Windows, but never
released.

I have also been working getting Bochs setup.  I have a low-level x86
asm programming background.  I wanted to begin developing some of my old
software again.  I used to develop on a 133 MHz Pentium with 64MB of
RAM.  But, since moving to Linux I've actually found Bochs to be usable,
albeit clunky.

I thought about my first project being to develop a bochs-gui package,
which would be a set of GUI tools to handle what Bochs does through
text-based interfaces.  I realize why Bochs works that way (multiple
platform exposure), but I think I would like to put a wrapper around the
input/output Bochs generates and display it using a GUI.  I think if
Bochs had a slick GUI then it would be more suitable for users who want
to run multiple OSes inside of Linux, thereby making the transition more
smooth until they find replacement apps for their older OS apps.

What do you think?

- Rick C. Hodgin