[ubuntu-mono] En?" "Well, " the girl pressed her temples as if to drive the thoughts of th

Timinsky maudlinisms at postbus24.nl
Thu Aug 27 21:39:44 BST 2009

St as the first gray streak of dawn was appearing, he curved off onto a
gravel road. Here he threw his car over to one side and, switching on a
flashlight, steered with one hand while he bent over the side to examine
the left-hand track. There had been a light rain at ten that night.
Since that time a heavy car with diamond-tread tires had passed along
the road, leaving its tracks in certain soft, sandy spots. "Maybe that's
him," Curlie murmured. A little farther on, stopping his machine, he got
out and walked along the road. Examining the surface closely, he walked
on for five rods, then wheeled about and made his way back to the car.
"He was over this road three times last night. That looks like a warm
scent. Can't tell, though. My friend might not have been in a car at
all; might have been in a plane. "We'll have a look at the very spot."
He twirled the wheel and was away. A half mile farther down the road, he
paused to look at a map. "Not quite here," he murmured. "About a quarter
mile farther." The car crept over another quarter of a mile. When he
again came to a halt he found himself on a stretch of paved road. "This
is the spot from which the last message was sent. Tough luck!" he
muttered. "Can't tell a thing here." Glancing to his right, he sat up
with a start. He had suddenly become aware of the fact that he was just
before the gate of the estate of J. Anson Ardmore, reputed to be the
richest man of the city. "Huh!" Curlie grunted. "Car must have stood
about here when that last message was sent. Maybe it went up that lane.
Maybe it didn't, too. J. Anson's got a son, about my age I guess.
Vincent they call him. He might be up to something. There's a girl, too,
sixteen or so. Can't tell what these rich folks will do." He stepped
down the rich man's private drive, but here the surface of crushed stone
was so perfectly kept that no telltale mark was to be seen. He did not
venture far, as he had no relish for being caught trespassing on such an
estate without some good explanation for his conduct. Just at that
moment he had no desire to explain. As he turned to go back, he caught
the thud-thud of hoof beats along the private drive. Fortunately the a