Removal of cloud-images

Carsten Otto otto at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Oct 5 15:11:09 UTC 2018

Dear readers,

I sadly do not know how to reach Ubuntu folks, so I'm (ab)using this
list (could you name a dedicated list for Ubuntu folks taking care of
mirror issues)?

I'm one of the admins of ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, a rather big mirror
in Germany. We also mirror cloud-images and noticed that this data is
rarely (never?) requested. In total, we download more using rsync than
we upload (1.4 MBit/sec on average in the past year).

Could you give a reason why we should continue hosting this data? How
are Ubuntu users made aware of our mirror? Is there some kind of
Mirrorbrain-like system?

If I don't receive a convincing reply, I'll remove cloud-images in the
next few days.

Best regards
Carsten
--