Query Regarding Hosting a Ubuntu Mirror

Vivien GUEANT - LaFibre.info redaction at lafibre.info
Wed Oct 26 07:57:18 UTC 2016

Hi, (excuse my poor english)

1) What are the requirements of hosting a Ubuntu Mirror.

For a country mirror, which will manage several Gb/s traffic, it is
important to manage disk I/O: A SSD 2TB on a small Xeon server, with
16GB of RAM will suffice for a traffic of 10 Gb/s in peak.
I use Apache2.4, with MPM event.

2) Is it possible to host some releases like only 12, 14, 16 versions
instead of all.

A country mirror must offer all distributions, otherwise an update 16.04
=> 16.10 will be defeated.

3) If I have created complete mirror and in-case in future any release
have been removed then how can I remove it from my mirror.

Rsync automatically deletes older distributions.

Currently there:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (The Precise Pangolin)
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (The Trusty Tahr)
- Ubuntu 15.04 (The Vivid Vervet) That will soon be deleted.
- Ubuntu 15.10 (The Wily Werewolf)
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (The Xenial Xerus)
- Ubuntu 16.10 (The Yakkety Yak)
- Ubuntu 17.04(The Zesty Zapus).