Mirroring ubuntu versions

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 7 16:48:11 UTC 2011

On Monday 07,March,2011 10:52 PM, Manuel Flores wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I have been running a mirror on the campus University for a while with
> this script [1], but in the las few months our disk is getting  full
> and we dont have any sign to increase capacity in the short term. So i
> am asking if anyone knows a way to mirror certain versions of ubuntu i
> would apretiate his/her help.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> [1] ubuntumirror.sh

Hi Manuel,

There are two ways you can go about this:-
 * full mirror for only selected versions using apt-mirror
 * partial mirror for all versions using apt-cacher-ng (deb caching proxy)

apt-mirror uses some deb entries in a similar format to /etc/apt/sources.list,
and will fetch only those versions.

apt-cacher-ng functions as a caching proxy, and will dynamically fetch debs that
have not been fetched before on-demand, caching them on disk so that future
requests need to re-fetch the debs again.

I reckon that apt-cacher-ng is probably the better choice, as you will be
caching the packages that are actually used by the people in your university
(for all Ubuntu releases), rather than a full set of packages that may not be
used, and forgoing older/newer versions of Ubuntu.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin