More one default server by country

Mattias Wadenstein maswan at acc.umu.se
Mon May 3 17:19:45 BST 2010

On Mon, 3 May 2010, GUEANT, VIVIEN wrote:

> Why do not create more than one long-term stability URL for large country ?

Yes, this has been done in Germany for {de,de2}.archive.ubuntu.com for
instance.

> (ex : fr1.archive.ubuntu.com , fr2.archive.ubuntu.com ,
> fr3.archive.ubuntu.com , ...) If a server is definitively down, the
> ubuntu team can repoint to a working mirror without user intervention.
>
> The live-cd can attribute one of this long-term stability servers :
> => with random
> => with ping the port 80
> => with the reverse-DNS of the public IP (this need an database with reverse-dns of the country and the server to use. If fr2.archive.ubuntu.com is near the network "Orange", the database chose this server for reverse-dns of the ISP Orange.
>
> If the fr2.archive.ubuntu.com is the server for reverser-dns "orange"
> and the company who host him decide to turn off, fr2.archive.ubuntu.com
> is repoint with another working mirror that is near (not in km, but in
> latency) than Orange customers.

Yup, this might be a workable idea, you'd need to start off by collecting
reverse mappings (or registry handles for IP ranges) and associate them
with the mirrors.

That said, I have some reservations about the ammount of work involved in
setting up and maintaining all these tables. But then again, even at
worst choice of mirror, it wouldn't be worse than the current choice,
really.

/Mattias Wadenstein