ubuntu archive is shrinking significantly...

Karl Tilbury karl at canonical.com
Fri Jun 8 15:31:37 BST 2007

Hello Carlos,

>  >You may like to subscribe to the Ubuntu-mirrors-announce mailing list so
>  >you do not miss these important emails in future.  You can subscribe here:
>  >
>  >https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mirrors-announce
>
> Ops, didn't know about this one... Subscribed, thanks.
>
> Since you're cleaning it up you might also have a look at the
> non-existent entries in md5sums.gz that I mentioned about a month ago:

> Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 21:50:23 -0300
> To: ubuntu-mirrors at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: indices/md5sum.gz has many non-existent entries
>
> I ran md5sum -c indices/md5sum (after uncompressing it). All checksums
> are fine. I also checked that all files in the tree are listed in md5sum.
>
> That's all as it should be BUT there are many files listed in md5sum
> that are not found:
>
> md5sum: WARNING: 71960 of 468165 listed files could not be read
>
> "could not be read" because they don't exist, without exception. I did
> this right after running a successful rsync with syncproxy. So either
> syncproxy is not complete or indices/md5sum has many bogus entries...

This is a known issue with Ubuntu archives.  From what I understand, it
is not presently a high priority to correct, as it's believed not be an
issue for any Ubuntu users or mirrors.

So your answer is that indices/md5sum has additional entries of files
which do not exist on the master archive server which you mirror Ubuntu
from.

Regards,

--
Karl Tilbury