mirror status for Ubuntu 8.04 release

LaMont Jones lamont.jones at canonical.com
Wed Apr 23 02:32:36 BST 2008

Hi,

As you are no doubt aware, the next release of Ubuntu is nearly upon us.
Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04, is expected to release on Thursday of this week.

As we prepare for the release, we noticed last week that several
registered mirrors did not have current copies of the Ubuntu 8.04
Release Candidate images until a few days after the announcement of
their availability.

We would greately appreciate it if you could do the following:

1)  If you have not already done so, please register your mirror at
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+newmirror

2)  Make sure that you are syncing all of "releases".  At this point, you
    should have an 8.04 directory, with ubuntu-8.04-rc-* files in it.

3)  Please schedule your rsync of "releases" no less frequently than
    every four (4) hours.  Most of the time, there will be nothing to
    fetch, so there shouldn't be any issues with it being that frequent.
    When new ISOs become available, you'll get them that much faster.

4)  If you happen to be syncing directly from releases.ubuntu.com, you may
    find that there is a mirror that is closer to you that you want to use
    instead, thereby avoiding the congestion that seems to always happen
    as we approach release day.  See https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+cdmirrors

If you need any assistance, please talk to mirrors at ubuntu.com, or you may
find faster answers by visiting the #ubuntu-mirrors channel on freenode.

thanks,
LaMont Jones
(one of) the Ubuntu mirror admin team