Launchpad now generating the Ubuntu download page.
karl at canonical.com
Tue Oct 31 18:00:14 GMT 2006
The Launchpad team would like to announce that the contents of the
http://www.ubuntu.com/download web page is now being automatically
generated based on the Launchpad mirror checker results.
This means that mirrors not yet registered in Launchpad will no longer
be listed on the Ubuntu download page.
But that is not the only reason to register your mirror with Launchpad.
Some other advantages of the new system are:
- Automatic daily verification of the mirror contents and an estimate of
when the mirror was last updated against the main archive.
- Mirror administrators can elect to specify more comprehensive
description about their mirror including the link speed and the name of
the sponsor of the mirror.
- Users will find it easier to locate a mirror with the content they
Can you please submit the details of your mirror using the following URL:
If you have not already done so, you will need to to create a Launchpad
user account before you can submit your mirror. After your mirror is
registered we will manually review and verify the entry to ensure the
person or organisation submitting the entry is the owner or
administrator of the mirror. Once verified, the mirror will be marked
as an official mirror.
Launchpad is, amongst other things, the tool we're using to control
package uploads to Ubuntu and the archive itself. As so, Launchpad knows
everything that should be in the archive, which allows us to easily
check the mirrors.
 - A Web-based system for translating open source software
- A bug tracking system (https://launchpad.net/malone)
- A distribution management system (https://launchpad.net/distros)
- A code-publishing system (https://launchpad.net/bazaar) using the
Bazaar revision control system (http://www.bazaar-vcs.org/
mirrors at ubuntu.com
More information about the Ubuntu-mirrors-announce