[ubuntu-marketing] How to convert a cyber cafe owner to Ubuntu?

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 18:37:06 UTC 2012

Hi Vibhav,

I run an Ubuntu public access computer lab here in Boston. The tools and
skills needed to run a multi-user environment are quite different to the
skills needed for a simple desktop.

I think the first job is to find out as much as you can about the tools
which you can use in a cyber cafe which will give the owner some
advantages. Ways to control the computers remotely, ways to time the
session (I wrote a session manager for this kind of thing available in
my greeter ppa) and ways to identify users and bill them if required.

Secondly it's useful to demonstrate the many themes and looks the
computers can have. From the elegant Unity interface to the XP, Windows
7 and OSX themes which can make Ubuntu computers look like anything. We
actually use all four interfaces and teach them so users understand not
to be afraid of new interfaces.

Lasty you may need to get him to see the advantages of learning more
about Ubuntu himself directly. Get his personal computer dual booting
and get him into the whole free and open source and idea.

Good luck!

Best Regards, Martin Owens