[ubuntu-marketing] "Buy a pc with Ubuntu pre-installed" as an option to "get ubuntu"

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Mar 26 16:21:26 GMT 2010

On 26 March 2010 16:00, Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es> wrote:
> Yes. I live in Canada, so I know your sentiment. We have restricted and
> inconvenient trade across our shared border, despite what you might hear
> otherwise.

One of the UK loco team created a website to list places you can buy
computers which come without an operating system - or "Naked" as we
call them:- http://nakedcomputers.org/ - I'm sure with a bit of love
it could be made less UK centric. :)

> So here's the thing: What will it take for someone (like Canonical for
> example) to cut a deal with a huge OEM in Taipei or Shenzhen, pre-bundle
> Ubuntu on netbooks, notebooks, and other interesting devices, and offer them
> globally?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is already happening :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd

"Taipei 101 is also home to a Canonical office."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_101

Why else would Canonical have an office in Taipei other than to be
close to OEMs & ODMs?

Some devices are already available from the manufacturer with Ubuntu
or Ubuntu-like OS's pre-installed.

Cheers,
Al.