[ubuntu-marketing] Use of term "brand" versus "identity"

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:11:17 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:31 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> *Hopefully* that converges with our assumed brand values
> (reliable, precise, free, collaborative for Ubuntu, and adding
> accountable and adroit for Canonical).

I'm concerned about this marketing speak.

I'm fairly cynical to marketing though so maybe it's just me. Lists of
words, how were those picked?

OK so I understand we've got to explain to people what we mean with
Ubuntu, position ourselves for non-community folk. But I'm just baffled
by these words, recently I picked my own set of words and most of them
were about FOSS rather than just Ubuntu:

http://doctormo.deviantart.com/art/DRAFT-Ubuntu-AnimeBos-Flyer-1-156027211

But I consider things like 'precise' and 'reliable' as being too common,
predicable and there is the danger that those things can be very easily
disproved with testing. Bad PR if we don't live up to them.

Instead I think we should be playing to our strengths as leaders of a
smart, compassionate, scientific community, developing amazingly good
software.

Perhaps we all see different things. But should I be worried that I'm no
longer in coherent agreement with the Canonical's Ubuntu brand message?

Regards, Martin Owens