[ubuntu-marketing] Firefox EULA

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 15 15:16:10 BST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Matthew Rossi <
matthew.penguincentral at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firefox has a EULA????  This is new news to me.
>
> Why did Mozilla decide to adopt a EULA anyway?  I thought the browser was
> supposed to be open source...
>
> I prefer my software open source.  If Mozilla want to go to the dark side,
> that's fine; we can just adopt abrowser or icecat (as it's now known).
>
> One question, what is the difference between the contents of the Firefox
> EULA and the old open source licence aside from that the latter is open
> source?  I'm not a lawyer so i wouldn't really know...
>
> I am disappointed that this has happened.  I thought Mozilla were better
> than this, but it seems not :(

Since when does an EULA make software non-open source? "Dark side"? How are
they going to the dark side? EULAs != Software License, Firefox is *still*
open source.

Please people, lets stop throwing around fallacies and FUD. Its really
getting annoying.

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>wrote:
>
>> Alan Lord wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > please be aware, if you aren't already, that a war of words is likely
>> > around the latest release of Firefox (3.0.2). On first use, you are
>> > presented with an EULA (Yes, an End User License Agreement). This caught
>> >   me by surprise a day or so ago after an update on Intrepid Ibex.
>> >
>> > Firefox is the default browser of Ubuntu and the LiveCD. This may well
>> > cause some issues as, currently, in "Ubuntu main" there is no other
>> > piece of software that requires the USER to accept usage restrictions.
>> > It might even be against the GPL to do so, although IANAL...
>> >
>> > Here's the meat of the discussion so far:
>> >
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/269656
>>
>> Thanks Alan, I think my vote would be to prefer iceweasel or whatever.
>> The branding of Ubuntu is useful, and firefox branding is a nice to
>> have  but the intrusiveness of this legalistic eula is a high price to
>> accept. Most people I see starting to use ubuntu have motives of
>> getting away from this sort of thing.
>> --
>> alan cocks
>> Kubuntu user#10391