[ubuntu-marketing] Introducing a community based PC vendor. (Mike Feravolo)

Michael Ramm michael at 1manit.net
Tue Mar 11 14:00:41 GMT 2008

THAT sure is one way NOT to get business from a segment of the population. I
will definitely not steer anyone to the Buntfu site for computer purchases.
The defensive tone of your response to some warranted criticism is really an
unacceptable business practice in my book. The Ubuntu is a tight knit
community (I know that you know this). We are just worried about the image
of Ubuntu because it is such a struggle to get people to even try
non-Microsoft stuff in this day.

Your proper response should have been to outline you philosophy and
reasoning for offering what you do. Systems preloaded with linux are still
pretty hard to come by, but are increasing. I think that your site had
potential, but I will not find out any further because of the derogatory
tone of your comments to this list. Also remember, flattery is one thing,
trademark infringement is a totally different beast.

There are so many ways to contribute to the Ubuntu community. I just one guy
also who does not program, is not a linux god, and does not have deep
pockets. There are many teams (like this marketing team) that need folks to
help out with their mission. Get involved in a LoCo team in your area. Just
helping people on the forums is great! That is the real beauty of the Ubuntu
Community, it is open to all...linux n00b (like me) all the way to the
programmers of the OS.

Michael Ramm

--
Ubuntu AlabamaTeam LoCo