[ubuntu-marketing] Thanks for all the fish [was] Marketing Strategy: What IS Marketing?

Vid.A vid at svaksha.com
Sat Jun 14 03:08:27 BST 2008

Hello,

This is the first time I am writing such a long mail only because its
the last. Yeah, I am leaving this list too.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I've read every post thus far.

[snip]

> For example, John, someone (I can't remember who) was upset that you put
> your personal articles on the wiki as a resource. You took them off because
> of that person's complaints. If you felt you were doing the right thing, you
> should have just left them there after clearly explaining your rationale or
> if you realized that there was a better place to put them then move them. If
> an edit war broke out, you could have asked someone like myself to
> intervene. If that didn't work then you could take it to the community
> council.

I must admit, I find this accusation in poor taste. John was told by
many folks on this list that his marketing articles belong to the
personal home pages and not on the team page. I changed the pages
category to "homepages" for a lot of personal pages, not just his, as
i explained in an earlier mail[0], where I also explained the contents
were not edited but it seems it is being blown out of proportion for
unknown reasons.

[0] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-marketing/2008-May/003030.html

Feel free to take it to the CC, just let me know the date and time and
I'll see if I can make it, else treat this as an explanation.

I wanted to clear this before leaving and fwiw, I have been on this
list since 2005 and just maybe it may have lacked direction but it was
never short of ideas and people willing to work on it. As countless
folks have mentioned, if one wants to make a difference and do
something they will, irrespective of whether they are appointed the
leader or are a part of the core team or not. I know I did [0] and
continued talking to the local distributors when nobody from Canonical
got in touch with me to take it further [I also understand that they
would have other priorities, which is fine, no issues :)].

[0] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-marketing/2008-April/002830.html

Earlier, I didnt support the idea that this team be dissolved and
marketing handed to the loco's but the recent list going-ons has been
more talk and trolling of a high order imho and I hoped the list-admin
would put an end to it but it didnt happen.

Anyway my personal obligations come before volunteering and off-late I
came to realise that my time is better spent elsewhere. Tord, sorry I
only completed half the translation document but I am sure others here
will be able to help you out.

I take this opportunity to wish all of you and this team the very best
for the future and ...
...thanks for all the fish!

Best,
Vid