[ubuntu-marketing] Organizational meeting proposed (Mike

John Botscharow info at jbotscharow.com
Sun Jun 1 16:08:31 BST 2008

I am going to use Vid's message to put in my two cents on this issue -
one last time. Like a lot of people who have commented here in the last
week or so, I am getting very frustrated with all of this going around
in circles.

The general sentiment has been that the marketing team is, to put it
bluntly, ineffective and that the reason for that is becaise of a lack
of leadership and a lack of direction, which usually is caused by a lack
of leadership.

The best way to establish leadersip is to do it democatically - by
voting. And to do it as quickly as possible is to have a meeting of as
many members as possible as soon as possible. And it seemed to me that
the quickest and easiest way to organize a meeting was to do it here on
this list, for all the reaons I mentioned in an earlier post.

Also, by voting on leadersip and direction, it allows everyone, or at
least most everyone, to feel ownership of this team, to buy into the
team and its goals. Without that sense of ownership, people are not
going to be very active or effective.

In order to get as many people, given the international nature of this
group, to a meeting, some of us might have to make some compromises in
our schedule to attend the meeting. Yes, we are all volunteers, but even
volunteers can make compromises for something they feel strongly about.

But, I am beginning to think that the REAL problem here is not a lack of
direction or even a lack of leadership, but a lack of willingness to
make even a small sacrifice for a greater good.

This may be a bit harsh, maybe even wrong. I certainly hope so. But  it
is how I see things at this point. I took responsibility for trying to
organize this meeting because it was something I felt had to be done,
and no one else really stepped up to do it. But, I am now going to step
back and let you all decide the date and time, or even whether such a
meeting will happen.

I will say this, though. Until you all decide on some leadership and
direction that most people active on this list can buy into, the
marketing team will continue to contribute little substance to the
Ubuntu community.

So, you all decide and let me know. And unless I get so frustrated that
I leave the team, I will be there.

Peace!

John

--
Peace!

John

You do have choice on what operating system you use:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

I am an Ubuntu user!
My profile: https://launchpad.net/~jbotscharow
My wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnBotscharow