[ubuntu-marketing] Translated marketing material

n3storm n3storm at grupoikusnet.com
Tue Jul 1 10:54:59 BST 2008

Hi everyone,
Just a tip:

You can plan a workflow like the following:
1- Scribus templates with Lorem ipsum as text and design, logos, graphics.
2- Create a layer for each language.
3- Load translations from external files to the text box of the actual
language layer.
4- Hide and show language layers to produce pdf with the desired language.

The workflow has the following advantages:
- Translators doesn't need to learn Scribus, just translate.
- Text files can be managed trough versioning systems, even exporting from
wiki pages: collaborative
- Designers can update logos, graphics and styles and all translations will
reflect the new changes.

Disadvantages:
- I haven't browsed trought all documents, so some of them (or many) may not
be suitable for this technique.
- An Scribus template must be properly built and managed by someone with
designing skills.
- Some languages can take much more or much less space than others, that means
fine adjusting kerning and so for each translation and after each language
updating. (on the other hand we must worry only for text, not layout,
margins, graphics, etc)

I can eventually help with a prototype of the Scribus template and further
documentation of the technique.

Yours: n3storm
www.grupoikusnet.com