[ubuntu-marketing] Why should we teach students Linux??

chriskenyon chriskenyon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:21:56 GMT 2007

Roel Bindels wrote:
> Hello listers,
> I'm tutor on the Faculty ICT, department NID. This is a bachelor degree
> and we are preparing our students to become something more then just
> System Administrators (such as manager, consulting, etc....). Since this
> department is part of the Microsoft camp, the students are educated
> mostly in this direction, which I think is not a bad thing. A better
> thing would be if we could give our students the opportunity to meat
> both the systems on the same level, at least, that is my opinion.
> To change a curriculum of a study, I need a solid case. So if somebody
> knows a link/document about why we should educate our students in the
> Linux OS, please send it. Or article about the usage of Linux in company's.

Aside from the fact that 30% of servers now run Linux and that many of
the worlds most innovative companies are using GNU / Linux and other
open source software, there are a host of good educational reasons why
active participation in the open source community will make your
students more productive, better rounded and more employable.

Jono Bacon had an excellent post on this recently -

Christopher Kenyon
Mob +44 7970 733 502
chris at chriskenyon.eu

Do you Ubuntu?