[ubuntu-marketing] Replace the UWN with something a little more "Social"?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 1 20:47:47 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 12:09 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Adam <adamant1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > There is no reason that the fridge cannot become this. There is
> > > absolutely no reason to create yet another resource.
> > >
> > > Corey
> >
> > Well then, perhaps we should focus our resources on the Fridge as opposed to
> > the weekly news letter?   Would the marketing team members need special
> > permissions/titles to post on this forum?
>
> Yes, but it is pretty easy to get. Coincidentally, the Fridge mailing
> list was having a discussion about how to revive/kickstart the fridge.

I personally think that merging UWN into the Fridge is a bad idea. The
Fridge is a great place for people to contribute substantial articles
and stories, and we definitely need to work on making it easy to
contribute there.

However, not all news items are interesting for the Fridge's userbase.
The vast majority of the UWN is useful for people working *within* the
Ubuntu community to keep in touch with other aspects of the community.
As the community grows, the UWN gets more and more *vital* to ensuring
that the community can keep in touch and avoid fragmenting. For example,
active participants on the Forums can tell us what is happening there,
active participants in the art team can do the same, and so on. We must
not lose that.

So, in sum: the Fridge and the UWN have differing functions, both of
which are essential and shouldn't be lost.

In order to gain contribution to the UWN, I'd suggest making smaller
changes like being more active in encouraging participation, ensuring
that the barrier to contribution is low, etc.

> As for translations, I propose we do the following:
> install a new drupal install, localized, at fr.fridge.ubuntu.com or
> es.fridge.ubuntu.com.
> translate each story as it is released (smaller stories are also
> easier to translate)

Generally translations are encouraged to be done on the various local
sites. So for documentation, websites and other translations, we
encourage the loco teams to present translations on their own websites.
While that continues to be the case, we should do the same with news.

For example, the Italian team publishes significant news items on its
website and also publishes a weekly news with both international and
Italian specific news, which has very much its own style and flavour.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF