[ubuntu-marketing] ubuntu-news team

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 08:21:34 BST 2007

On 5/29/07, Martin Albisetti <argentina at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > * Will creating this new time gut the marketing team?
> >
> > I wonder this too - I think the marketing team needs to be primarily
> > orientated around outreach and promotion, whereas the ubuntu-news team
> > is about news management for the community. So, in the nutshell
> > -marketing for communications outside the community, -news for inside
> > the community. Make sense?
>
> I agree it makes sense, but I also think that internal and external
> news frequently overlaps, and it would be a shame to unify some
> resources, and dived others.
>
> Maybe -news team should be a sub-team of -marketing?
> Maybe their should be some explicit effort to keep both teams in sync?
>
> I'm worried about all the knowledge you gather, for example, by
> researching weekly for the UWN is not invested into the release notes
> of Gutsy.
>
> I do strongly agree this is the right move, I just want to make sure
> we don't break anything in the process.
>

> Martin

Alright, so Martin kicked the ball going here and got an irc channel
up and running at #ubuntu-news.

We chatted and the best division is probably this:

-news: UWN, Fridge, ubuntu.com news
-marketing:DIY, alpha/beta release notes, tours, etc.

Here are the bits that need to be decided:
- What to do with the fridge-devel mailing list?
- What to do with the marketing-submissions mailing list?

My gut feeling would be to make fridge-devel the ubuntu-news-team
mailing list, turn off the free submit and then make the
-marketing-submissions into -marketing-news-submissions to cover both
marketing and news inbound information. The reason I say keep one
submissions mailing list is that people sending stuff in are likely to
have no idea how we are going to use this information.

Anyway, just my thoughts. If they don't make sense, I blame the
painkillers I am on, as I just had my wisdom teeth out.

Corey