Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 00:40:02 CST 2005

On 11/18/05, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I just noticed a note in the DIY marketing page on the wiki -
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing :
> >
> > * /!\ Important Observation: Could we have access or ensure work is done
> > with Ubuntu computers running free software and so generating free
> > format files? AFAIK, the .eps and .psd ARE NOT Free as in Freedom. All
> > we do here, all the community work is based on freedom, and so I believe
> > we should provide and assure we keep it like that. For desktop
> > publishing (DTP) work in Ubuntu, have a look at [WWW] Scribus - it's in
> > Universe - or Inkscape. *
> >
> > Although I agree we should use and ask any contributors to use open,
> > free formats, I think this should be a friendlier request - or perhaps
> > guidelines.  Certainly not to be discussed *on* the wiki ! :)

I just raised this idea with Mark, Jane S and Malcolm. Mark mentioned
to me that he would look into getting what is produced (by a third
party) into SVG or something similar.

The reason I like svg is that we can then use xml2po and be able to
translate it.

As an aside, graphics formats currently suck. The company I work for
(Userful) has to produce our graphics in about 7 different formats for
our customers to use.

Corey