[Ubuntu-ma] Google offre son codec video VP8 sous licence open source, Firefox l'intègre déjà

Azzeddine Ouadyani azzeddine.ouadyani at gmail.com
Ven 21 Mai 09:21:43 BST 2010

Salam Nordin,

2010/5/21 Nordin <bouchtaoui at gmail.com>

> Yes I'm happy too, but it's too early to say that this will succeed.
> As I understand from other forums, VP8 might have implemented other
> techniques which is patented by other companies. So it's not guaranteed
> that VP8 is totally patent-free.

I agree with you in general, it's probably not patent-free, but i feel that
it will succeed because it's backed a strong company with serious voip
intentions (4 days ago google bought Global ip solutions)

> But it would be great if there is a real open standard, open source
> implementation of a good video codec, I've heard Theora is such one,
> though it's not that good. If Moroccan universities of Computer science
> can develop one, this will put Morocco in the picture as the webvideo
> saviour :).

Technically speaking, VP8 is weaker than H.264 but it's definitely better
than Theora!
Let's not reinvent the wheel ! Moroccan universities should drop proprietary
soft and learn to contribute on opensource projects :)

--
Azzeddine.