[UCLP] Updating Camara Skill Building material

Vagn Bjørno vagn at fairdanmark.dk
Tue Feb 26 21:54:02 UTC 2013

Hello to all on this list,

In FAIR Denmark we're in dire need for training materials for our projects
in Malawi. We've found the Skill Building material from Camara useful, but
a bit outdated, so we've decided to update and revise the material (it is
GPL'd) to cover the syllabus for International Computer Driving Licence -
Equal Skills with Edubuntu.

Unfortunately I haven't monitored this mailing list closely, so it's not
until now that I've noticed the excellent paper by Jasna Benčić (thank you
Jasna, it was a pleasure reading :-).

Any kind of collaboration, proof reading (I'm not native English speaking),
comments and anything else would be much appreciated.

Notes on the project can be found at:
http://www.fairdanmark.dk/en/wiki/Education/EdubuntuEqualSkills/. The wiki
page has links to the docbook code on launchpad and to the prelimary html
version of the basics course material.

About FAIR Denmark:
FAIR (Fair Allocation of Infotech Ressources) is a non profit organisation,
driven entirely by voluntiers. FAIR's mission is to collect ICT equipment
for the world's poorest countries. FAIR was established in Oslo, Norway, in
2002. FAIR Sweden was established in 2006 and Fair Denmark in 2007.
Until now FAIR has delivered almost 10.000 computers including installation
and instruction to more than 200 schools in more than 10 countries, so over
200.000 pupils and teachers have now access to information and
communication technologi.
FAIR has started projects in Eritrea, Kenya, Guatemala, Indonesia, Gambia,
Uganda, Zambia, Madagascar and Russia. At present FAIR Denmark has Malawi
as project country, and we cooperate with the local NGO NICE (National
Initiative for Civic Education).
Further on FAIR: http://www.fairdanmark.dk/en/

About me:
I'm retired and work as a voluntary for FAIR Denmark.
Started working with computers back in the 60's (then called punch card
machines :-), bought my first computer in the beginning of the 80's (a toy,
really :-), have been a GNU/Linux user for 15 years.
I've taught computing for more than a decade, both evening classes and as
full time teacher, almost entirely with propriatery systems and software,
and have mostly made my training material myself - in my native language,
Danish, of course.
I know xml, but have not much in-dept knowledge of docbook, so I'm learning
by doing :-)
I value Freedom.

--

Best Regards