[Ubuntu Leadership] Leadership Mentioning Program

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 18:09:20 UTC 2014

I do not know if Ubuntu has the funding to do this but one thing Mozilla
does in terms of leadership training for its community is bring in speakers
to our work weeks, summits and meetups from other projects and companies to
give talks. This week as an example we have a community manager from
Wikipedia coming in. In the past we have had entire panels of speakers.

Our effort is a little different in that its core focus is not Leadership
we call ours the "Community Building Team" where Leadership is sort of a
pillar of the overall goal of Community Building.

While I know Ubuntu does not have UDS anymore perhaps Ubuntu could still
consider finding some speakers to do a Ubuntu on Air talk on leadership
topics? If anyone at Mozilla is of interest I could probably arrange a
speaker.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM, cprofitt <cprofitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 11:56 -0500, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > This also CC'd to the CC and LP since some of the members of those teams
> > aren't a part of the Leadership Team.  Anyways, here's the idea for the
> > mentoring program:
> >
> > A co-op with the CC and LC, for community and LoCo leaders, new and old
> > who want to improve their leadership skills.  Mentors and their students
> > should be paired based on timezone and language if it's not English.
> > When I pair, I don't mean one to one but more in terms of a soft limit
> > of two students to one mentor.  A mentor have more if they can handle
> > it.  Since the program is based on timezone and language, mentors can
> > have more than one but to a point without the mentor stressing out.
> > Because of this, one mentor can teach the students at the same time if
> > they choose to via IRC or even Google Hangouts.  E-mail exchange should
> > also used.
> >
> > The easiest way to organize this is via a wiki (sub)-page within the
> > Ubuntu Leadership.
> >
> > Launch date: Late January 2015/Early February 2015
> >
> > This date is tentative but it's aimed after all of the holidays.  Also,
> > let's try to have a planning meeting on how to do this better than this
> > write up before the launch date.  We can also do it via the mailing-list
> > of the Ubuntu Leadership.  If a non-member posts, I will approve the
> > messages.  I'm giving the choice to join.
> >

> Would this be something that would dovetail with the Ubuntu Global Jam?
> Specifically, I am thinking of having a group of volunteers who want to
> learn more about leading an event work with existing experienced UGJ
> leaders to run two events. Event one would be run by the experienced
> leaders (with them explaining and demonstrating the details to the new
> leaders) and event two would be run by the new leaders (with guidance
> from the experienced leaders).
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Charles

Benjamin Kerensa