Ubuntu-LB Open Source Software and Ubuntu Advocacy

Chris Crisafulli itnet7 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 31 14:48:02 BST 2010

> And what you still don't get is that THIS IS AN UBUNTU LOCO, meaning
> no
> windows projects are gonna be done... Stick to the subject and to the
> aim of
> the Loco, I don't need to make my words any clearer. Find yourself
> another
> Open Source team somewhere in here to give your idea to.

I can seriously understand how Passionate all of you are for Ubuntu and
the Lebanon Team, but please asking someone to "Find yourself another
Open Source Team" is definitely not in compliance with the Ubuntu Code
Of Conduct:

"We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot
allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It's important to
remember that a community where people feel <bold>uncomfortable</bold>
or <bold>threatened</bold> is not a productive one."

Not trying to take sides here, but Jocelyn does have a point. For years
many people in the community have used Open Source Software that runs on
both platforms for Linux advocacy. If you look to the official Ubuntu
Documentation they have a wiki on Loop (List Of Open source Programs" :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ListOfOpenSourcePrograms

On the page itself it gives this nugget of wisdom.

"Instructions:

      * Tell all your non-Linux friends and family about the LOOP list.
        On this list they will find free, high-quality replacements for
        the software that they have purchased/pirated. Once they become
        familiar with these new applications, introduce them to your
        favorite Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu. Then help them
        convert to Linux, using the same applications that they became
        familiar with on Windows.

Let's face it, this is really an effective way of allowing for new Linux
users to test the waters in their own comfort area. Once they have
gained a little confidence with the quality and usefulness of the
software they will begin to look at the possibility of trying other
things, and hopefully in our case Ubuntu. This rings true for both
extremely technical windows users and beginners.

The beginner level windows users will have discovered that their current
OS doesn't provide good tools and they will begin installing replacement
applications like Firefox, Thunderbird (e-mail client), Pidgin (so they
can use multiple IM protocols), etc. There are many other examples I can
think of, but all of the applications that I can think of run in
Ubuntu.

For extremely technical, Power Users and I.T. Personnel there are also
some really good applications that they can take advantage of to help
the executives and co-workers understand the power and value of Open
Source Software. Applications like: Open Office, Wire Shark (Formerly
Ethereal), Open VPN, and even Asterisk have windows versions. It only
makes sense that someone that has just tried Ubuntu would not feel
comfortable on their own with trying to implement something like this if
they are using Linux for the first time, or even just several weeks or a
few months.

Both of those are good examples, This could also not only be a good way
to attract new people to Ubuntu, but also a great way to promote your
team. Whenever you give something to someone for nothing they remember
it, some of the potential converts won over through Open Source may very
well become Ubuntu and the Lebanon Teams strongest advocates.

My Team and I have never actually distributed this software themselves,
but many other Florida Linux Groups have with some decent returns in
Members. I have definitely recommended All of the applications I have
mentioned above to family, friends, and co-workers.

One more little point and I will end yet another super long e-mail. I
work as a Systems Administrator II for an IT services group who provides
support for a local Health Care Provider. They have 10,000 employees and
have 5 Main facilities, and about 30 off-site clinics. I have been using
Ubuntu as my primary desktop at work, but relying upon citrix/virtual
box whenever the need arises and I have to work on an application that
will absolutely not run on Linux even under wine. I have about 70
co-workers, only about 2 of them used to use Ubuntu with me. When Lucid
released I burned a spindle of CD's and sent out an e-mail letting
everyone know that I had some CD's available, somewhere in the
neighborhood of 20-24 people came by the first day, and there have been
one or two a day since then.

I am not saying this to brag, but to ask the following question: When
any of these people approached me the flaws of windows, on what do I
use, do you think that they would ever have began using Ubuntu on at
least one device at work (most of them are running it at home as well)?
I made suggestions to them about applications like Pidgin, OOo, and the
like. If I was harsh with them, telling them that the could only run
Ubuntu to see benefits of using Open Source Software, I feel there
wouldn't have been such a large number of people grabbing CD's from me
that week.

With this being said, it might be good enough to hold events to educate
newer users that come from a windows background, on SFW (Safe For Work,
Especially if you work in a windows shop) Open Source Applications that
stand as alternative for m$ applications. With all of the schools that
all of you have access to, you could easily host an Ubuntu "windows user
orientation Day" or on Software Freedom Day, you can showcase some of
these applications when approached by windows users.

Sincerely,

Chris Crisafulli
Ubuntu LoCo Council