Ubuntu-LB High Quality OpenSource Software For Windows Users

lo bo lobobei26 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:33:56 BST 2010

Hi,

I do think the idea of Open Source CD or DVD filled with open source
software is a good one, why?
I can speak of my own experience, I started using open source software long
before any Linux distro. In fact, it is open source software that got me
into Linux in the first place. When you get into open source you're bound to
get acquainted with Linux, therefore, in a way, open source is a prelude to
Linux. I do understand the argument that the team is all about Ubuntu, but
after I took the plunge in Ubuntu, I didn't get lost because I had prior
experience with major open source software such as Open Office, Audacity,
Firefox, GIMP...

Now, why would people use Ubuntu if they can access major open source
software on Windows? In my opnion, the answer is simple: they work way
better under Ubuntu. I have used them under windows and ubuntu and I have
seen the difference. On my laptop, which has Windows vista and Ubuntu, the
same software, say GIMP or Open Office, loads a lot faster in Ubuntu than in
Windows.

So, getting people to learn about open source is a first step in a long road
where people learn that alternatives to Windows and Mac exist, and they are
just as good and functional.

Best regards.