Ubuntu-LB Introducing Ubuntu Light

Hadi Harkous hadi_harkous at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 21:37:27 BST 2010

Dear all,
In a recent post, Mark Shuttleworth announced 'Ubuntu Light' or may I say in another words 'The Google Chrome OS rival' as it follows the same concept of Google's view of a OS or a light OS which states that 90% of the computer users are of the type "Just get me to the goddamn browser asap"
Ubuntu Light will be officially released with Ubuntu 10.10, and it will consist of the Chromium browser, optimized to suit Ubuntu Light's taste and a basic file manager, please check the screenshot attachment for a look.
80% of the development won't be on adding more apps, it would be on increasing booting speed since it is the main goal of the project as Mark Shuttleworth states in his post:"We also learned something interesting from users. It’s not about how fast you appear to boot. It’s about how fast you actually deliver a working web browser and Internet connection. It’s about how fast you have a running system that is responsive to the needs of the user."
Hardware-wise, it runs best on SSD ( Solid-state drives ) [It boots in 7 seconds on a Dell Mini 10v with SSD] and it is specifically targeted on netbooks.
Do you think this a good idea ? do you think this will increase the growth of Ubuntu ? or you think that Canoncial/Ubuntu have gone too far since it is directly shooting it against Google's project, Google Chrome OS.
Thank you,Hadi