Fwd: Lucid and Maverick translations

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 13:31:20 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>
Date: 20 July 2010 20:30
Subject: Lucid and Maverick translations
To: Ubuntu Translators <ubuntu-translators at lists.ubuntu.com>

Hi translators,

== Lucid language pack updates ==

We're soon going to release the first Lucid point release update
(10.04.1) and we've got a new set of language packs in the
lucid-proposed repository containing all translations you've been doing
after the release last April.

I'd like to ask for your help in testing those language packs following
the procedure in that page and adding a signoff on the table at the end.
It's basically writing down if the test was successful or not. We'll
then upload the language packs for the languages which have been tested
to lucid-updates on Friday. I apologise for the short notice, as these
days I've been busy and haven't managed to send the announcement
earlier.

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA

Testing the language packs is very easy, and you don't have to be a
translator to do this. So please forward this message to your LoCos as
well to get some help in testing them.

== Maverick translations ==

I think it's time for opening Maverick as well. Before doing that, I'd
like to ask you for some feedback.

Rather than asking every time when the best time for opening them is,
I'd prefer to tie them to a milestone and add them to the release
schedule.

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule

There two aspects involved in opening translations:

Making them visible in Launchpad. That's when they are open so you can
start translating them in a given release, e.g.
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick. I would suggest from
now on making this early in the cycle. Either at the start or at Alpha-1
or Alpha-2.

Setting the translation focus. That's the point when the
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu URL is redirected to point to
a given release, so that translators can focus on it. Right now it
points to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid and we'll need
to switch it to maverick soon. We can do this either on the
UserInterfaceFreeze milestone or at an earler one.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.