ஓபன் ஆபீஸ் + SCIM குறித்து..

K. Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 21:11:56 BST 2006

Hi all,

On 23/09/06 17:04, ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ் wrote:
> அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம்,
>
> 1) ஓபன் ஆபீஸில் SCIM  ப்ரச்சனை  இல்லாமல் வருகிின்றதா..
>
> நான் ஓபன் ஆபீஸ் GTK  suite install செய்தால் SCIM  முறையில் தட்டச்சு செய்ய
> வருகின்றது...
>
> இந்த suite  இல்லாமல் வரவில்லை. ஆனால் இதை  install  செய்த பின் ஓபன் ஆபீஸினுள்
> உள்ள  icons and menus மறைந்து விடுகின்றது. Cursorஐ  அவ் icon/ Menu மீது
> கொண்டு சென்றால் தான் அவை  தெரிகின்றது..

What is the "ஓபன் ஆபீஸ் GTK  suite" that you mention? In my Ubutnu-Dapper
(I use gnome desktop) I see from Synaptic PM that I have included
"openoffice.org-gtk", the description of which is titled as "GTK
Integration for OpenOffice.org (Widgets, Dialogs)" - Is this what you
meant or is there something else as "GTK suite".

With openoffice.org-gtk already included in the installation, I do not
see any problems with oo icons and menus, menu commands  - they are
visible.  And the tamil scim keyboards (m17n, tables) work fine.

In OO, still existing problem is that not all fonts are rendering
correctly. Some are ok some not. This is not only in Ubuntu but in the
other ones also (SuSe 10.1, FC5, Mandriva 2006 and so on).

See the attached screen shot to see problems in appearances of some
uyirmeis with some fonts in OO-Calc*  *- In this  the uyirmeis of k (க்)
are shown for sample; the same problem exist for corresponding uyirmeis
of other meis also.

In the above screen shot let me point out first the problems with
General Fonts (Free Sans, DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Serif, Nimbus Sans L and
Free Serif):

Three of those general fonts:  Free Sans,  DejaVu Sans and DejaVu Serif
all have problem with the uyirmeis formed with okaram (ஒ), Okaram (ஓ)
and aukaram (ஔ) vowels and in case of DejaVu Serif also those with e (எ)
and E (ஏ).  Nimbus Sans L has problems rendering uyirmeis formed of u
(உ) and U (ஊ) . It also has pulli above meis (க், ச், ட் etc) located not
direct above but to the right. Among all 5 general fonts in my screen
shot, only Free Serif seems to be most free of problems but even for
that the kombu for uyirmeis formed of ii (ஈ) is not joined to the body
of the letter and appear shorter as it is so with DejaVu Serif also.

Now coming to Tamil fonts (either as tamil-english bilinguals or as part
of group of indic languages+english types)in my screenshot:
(TSCu_Paranar, TSCu_Comic, TSCU_Times, RaghuTamil, SooriyanDotCom,
LohitTamil, JanaTamil andAksharUnicode)

The 3 TSCu fonts : Paranar, Comic and Times are all ok except that when
pure meis  (க், ச், ட் ..etc)  come at end of the words or a single
characters  preceded by blank  the  overhead pulli disjoints and locates
apart towards right. SooriyanDotCom font appears nice with all except
that it fails with aukara(ஔ) - mEriya uyirmeis (கௌ, சௌ , டௌ ...etc).
RaghuTamil  (forgot where I got it from but I recollect it is  GPLed)
has problems with the appearances of the respective glyph modifiers of
ikara (இ), ukara (உ) and Ukara (ஊ) - mEriya uyir-meis.

LohitTamil, JanaTamil and AksharUnicode are 3 fonts that do not show any
rendering problems. The first, Lohit Tamil appears rather bland and not
that pretty. JanaTamil looks good but at lower sizes (12 or below) some
characters bottom part visibility appear to be somewhat hindered.
AksharUnicode looks alright but it is only italic style.

There are some others which I had used in other distros  but  in my
dapper  I have to install them - will report on them soon (like
Thendral, TSCu_Vaigai  etc)

Bye for now

~Sethu