[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]தமிழ் உபுண்டு சின்னம் குறித்து..

Sivakumar Ramamurthy sivakumar.ramamurthy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:21:22 GMT 2006

Hi,

I do beleive in God. God in General. Onre Kulam and Oruvane Devan. May it be
Jesus, Allah or Siva. All are one to me. I oppose when some says mine is the
only God. Also when people who do not believe in God opposes those who
believe God and their beliefs I oppose that since its an act of disrespect
shown by them to other's faith. This should not be allowed in any democratic
set up.

Acceptance (but not exception) of all religion is The Fundametal principle
of Modern Democracy. Inclusive of All (and Not Exclusive) is the core
concept of Modern Democracy.

Look Ubuntu in Code of Conduct guidelines cited by Ravi and other has
given the reference of an Arch Bishop. A great thought from a Christian
Clergy. I beleive this sentence should have been in existence ever since
Ubuntu came into existence. I admire this in
 http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

*Desmond Tutu described ubuntu in the following way: *

   -

   *"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of
   others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or
   she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she
   belongs in a greater whole." *
    -

      *Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in No Future Without Forgiveness *

It can also be found in numerous other places also.

This is not my statement but a response statement as Swaminathan has used to
state.
Now in a Open World that should exhibit neutrality to all religions and
should have common things how come a Christian Clergy's statement can be
allowed to be posted. It can make a non-christian believer feel
uncomfartable and deterriorate. To a non-believer it may be un encouraging.

Arch Bishop is a direct reference to Chritianity. Ravi and others, You
people provided this link. And hope this should not have skipped your
vision. Did you voice your protest to Ubuntu Documentation Team or any other
Team for direct reference of Christianity. Had you done so then I can think
of considering you to to be neutral. Else you are a mere baiter. Sorry and I
apologise in advance if this word id harsh.

If ravi can voice that there and use all their intellectual skills there,
get it removed there  then we can continue debating whether to remove our
existing Logo or not.

 I think the whatever explanation Ubuntu Team gives for existence of Arch
Bishop's statement should be sufficent for our Team also.

I accept will full heart The Arch Bishop's statement. I disagree that on
first inference somebody will tell our Logo as Pillayar Suzhi unless some
one goes and explicitly explains to them all these, as ravi has been trying
to do here.

I have seen my grand ma using Pillayar Suzhi in her letters. It will have
not "U" but something like "U" sharpened at the left corners. Also she used
to put two lines below it. I have even seen other elders doing the same way.
Having underwent modern education I never used it. I do not see existing
younger generation use it any more. Its obsolete almost. Go to a any
school and ask a kid (I am happy if that identifies it as a Tamil word, ) it
will state it "U". Nothing more.

Having said that the Logo of our Team is a complete "U" and a Ctrl-U applied
over it. Its is not Pillayar Suzhi since I have seen Pillayar Suzhis used by
my elders. Its a clear representation of "U" the first letter of Ubuntu to
me. And since the "U" is a Tamil Letter its Ubuntu Tamil Team.  And our's is
a Ubuntu based Tamil Team.

Yes as Ganesh stated we are selling our TheEnterprise PCs with Ubuntu as an
additional OS provided.

On 10/30/06, Swaminathan Balaraman Iyer <beswaminathan at gmail.com > wrote:

> // its ubuntu based tamil team //
>
> Is what i said. "U" represents a Tamil Letter and Tamil Team (first letter
> of Ubuntu too) and the Ubuntu Logo represents it is Ubuntu. Together its
> Ubuntu Based Tamil Team. What I said I stand by it.
>
> Thinking of now "U" also represents Ulagam for me. Ulagam is
> Global. "Ulagalaaviya Sindhanai - Global Thought", Wow! gr8, Thanks for
> making me think and feel better that I haven't contradicted my statement but
> complimented it.
>
> The existing symbol is more appropriate now I feel. Its for u to accept
> it.
>

> *********** Dude, if you say we can have Ubuntu logo itself why should we
> have a site for Tamil Team alone. Come lets all join the original Ubuntu
> Team itself closing this website.  Lets joining their own mailing lists
> ******************
>
> The above statement inside ******************
> ******************* is a response statement and not represent my direct
> opinion.
>
> I am logically corrent and stong to mypoint.
>
> I said I am reading thru mails and will address other issues.
>
>  On 30/10/06, Ravi shankar < ravidreams_03 at yahoo.com > wrote:
>
> >   //Cornering Ubuntu to Tamil alone is an act of marginalising a Global
> > thought to a small Box. //
> >
> > swaminathan, you are contradicting your own statement. Then is having an
> > underlined உ inside the ubuntu logo not an act of cornering it to tamil?
> > Everyone knows who designed the logo and your accusation in turn should
> > reach that person, not me ;)
> >
> > Please don't distract the point of discussion. This issue is not for or
> > against tamil but against a blaring religious symbol under the cover of
> > tamil. I have high respect for people standing for their ideologies. Let
> > them either stand for tamil or their religious sentiments. But it is highly
> > unacceptable to mix both and trying to get a cover.
> >
> > If you think I am marginalising this global effort by short-sighted
> > thinking, then why don't the underlined உbe completely removed and just
> > leave the ubuntu logo as it is. It would be a very logical global step that
> > can be done to avoid controverises :) It is very obvious who is cornering
> > things to what.
> >
> > Ravi
> >

> > --

> Swaminathan Balaraman