[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]Ramdoss, please clarify ! - Open letter for group members
ravidreams_03 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 10:49:36 GMT 2006
I am a practicing hindu but would like to associate this project to tamil, open source and ubuntu only and not anything else. When people join hands in public efforts they should leave their beliefs and faiths in their home and heart and not advertise it. By doing so, such people are only damaging their reputation.
I would summarise the responses so far this issue.
1. View 1 - This is not at all piLLaiyaar suzhi and need not change.
- we beg to differ. This is a clear piLLaiyaar suzhi. If you would remove the ubuntu logo and place the underlined உ in a temple, or beginning of the postal mail, it is a clear piLLaiyaar suzhi. Would you call a maths ubuntu group with the numbers 786 in the symbol completely coincidental? or a cross in a maths ubuntu group as a decorative plus sign? Those who are at the admin position should be beyond disputes and strive for harmony within the group and not fuel it. We insist that this is piLLaiyaar suzhi and we want it to be changed as don't want to be associated with communal motivations.
2. View 2 - Let it be piLLaiyaar suzhi and we don't need to change. what is the problem? all people we consulted are accepting it.
- we differ from this opinion. Blatantly accepting that this is a religious symbol and yet to resist to change is clearly autocratic and doesn't respect others view. Are you aware that in srilanka tamil speaking muslims are politically a separate ethnic group and what if they feel uncomfortable using ubuntu tamil package just for this symbol? Can you gurantee that by using this no single non-hindu tamil on this earth would feel uncomfortable? I bet not. But by using the official ubuntu logo or an alteranate logo with the word தமிழ் replacing the underlined உ any man with common sense would understand that no tamil speaking person would feel uncomfortable?
The design of the logo is flawed in itself..If apple releases a tamil version, they are not going to inscribe ஆ inside the apple logo, the maximum they would do is to indicate that it is தமிழ் or leave the logo as it is. Why can't anyone see this logic? The official ubuntu logo in itself is popular and powerful enough to spread ubuntu. Nothing else is needed.
3. View 3 - May be it is flawed logo. But it has become popular and cannot change it.
- When there is a controversy about the logo from day 1, ramdoss doesn't have the rights to popularise it. And which professional group on earth would continue to propogate a flawed logo? Saying that the logo has become popular in one month is ridiculous. Right now, Ubuntu tamil logo cannot be even as popular among thamiz people as அணில் in the அணில் சேமியா :)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ubuntu-l10n-tam