[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்] Ramdoss, please clarify ! - Open letter for group members
ravidreams_03 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 19:50:23 GMT 2006
as a well wisher of ubuntu, open source movements and tamil, I would demand some clarifications from you for the healthy functioning of this group.
1. What is the base and purpose of this group?
- I understand that this is a tamil community (who ever speaks tamil, irrespective of social status, caste, religion, state in the country, country) based group to make ubuntu compatible for tamil (primary objective) and also as a consequence spreading ubuntu among tamil community (secondary objective). Having the objective of making ubuntu as tamil compatible is a big difference from other country based loco teams which just spread the ubuntu in their country and possible provide technical support, distribute CDs etc.,
If you differ from the above statement, please clarify. Especially, if this group is just to spread ubuntu in Tamilnadu so that people outside tamilnadu won't waste their precious time, effort in this. Then, you can declare it as a state based ubuntu team like the US state based teams.
Then, people can start srilanka-tamil, singapore-tamil loco teams for their needs and don't need to confuse this team as a tamil based gloabal team. You can also more or other objectives and the order of imporatance for them.
2.What is the role and need for samarpan?
- I appreciate whatever possible initiatives and offline efforts that samarpan would have taken to popularise or contribute to ubuntu and its language editions. But the role of this organisation in this loco team and their contributions for the primary objective that I have defined above is highly unclear. I feel that the role of samarpan in this loco team also clearly needs to be defined. No one would object any group joining tamil loco team. But their role should be clear. In what sense do they deserve the special mention from the official ubuntu page for loco teams https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList and in the tamil ubuntu official website? There is no such special mention in any other loco teams worldwide and all function under one umbrella and label of the loco team. Why do we need to mention samarpan in the tamil ubuntu loco efforts? Can't they function under one label - just the tamil loco team? Will the same mention be given any other organisation in future? In
long run, lot of organisations might join hands in such public efforts and will you give all their names in the ubuntu loco page?
3. Justify how you qualify yourself as a co-ordinator for a loco team of a global project like ubuntu? Please cite instances when you have showed signs of open discussion, dispute resolution, ubuntu code of conduct, leadership, sharing of power. Every loco team has the possibility of being a pioneering team in the future, and we would deem to know that any co-ordinator is worthy of his role. Please cite instances where you have succefully participated, contributed, co-ordinated in such community based teams. In what way could you specifically contribute to this loco team as a coordinator that any other person cannot handle? What is your USP to achive the objectives of this group that you are yet to define?
4. In case of difference of opinion in the group, how do you suggest to resolve it? Is it through open discussion or is your verdict final? Please show instances when and where you have conducted yourself according to what you might suggest now. Would you strive solve issues based on their seriousness or urgency or based on how many people support a thing. Just for a note, democracy and voting in such forums not always reveal the truth. Even if 100 men insist against a single man that a dog is a cat, a cat can never become a dog. Would you comment that whoever are not following your opinion shall leave the group or would you take action to remove from the group? what are the code of conduct of that you would suggest for a person to claim his rights to be a part of this group?
5. How does the webiste www.ubuntu-tam.org authored? I understand that right now only you have access to change its contents. Will the same trend continue? or do you plan to grant access to few more members of this group? If you would grant access to few other members, what would be the basis for selecting such members? When would you grant such access rights? and will you give them partial or complete rights? Or if you choose to keep the access with you, how would you justify it.
6. Regarding the logo issue - how would you justify that your actions are correct so far? When there was a controversy a day after the design of the logo, why didn't you take steps to change or cover the controversial logo? First, you insisted that it is not a religious symbol and later you argued that even it is a religious symbol it shouldn't be a problem? Do you acknowledge that your latest stance is secular? Why didn't you invite more logo designs and insist that the logo should stay even after a day of its design? Did the logo become so popular in a day that you could not replace it? What is the financial, good will loss you assess from changing the current logo? will it make more loss than changing the apple Inc., logo or changing a 400 year old city name of madras into chennai globally? Do you realise that if anyone could associate the current tamil ubuntu logo design religiously it would disgrace ubuntu too as you are tampering the official copyrighted ubuntu logo?
I insist that you answer all the questions above to stop unnecessary arguments from either side, in english and also in tamil so that we needn't rephrase or translate things to people in this group who might not comprehend either of the languages. also, it would be a guideline how this group would and should function and we would not bother you unnecessarily. Please do not dismiss this mail completely as it would no way be expected of any co-ordinator of any group.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ubuntu-l10n-tam