[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]தமிழுக்கு தேவையான பொதிகள்

Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 19:27:40 BST 2006

Mauran and all

Firstly, is there a way that I can update my installation / live CD
image for 6.10 RC (of Sep 28) to current final 6.10 release. That is
mount the cd iso image I have and do some apt command to update the
contents of that to make another cd which would be same as current
final release cd? That way  I can test Mauran's package in live CD
sessions as well as fresh HD installation like how a new user without
internet access would be doing from a current 6.10 live cd.

I looked inside the package made by Mauran and regarding the tamil99
mim file in it:

The ta-tamil99.mim in that is the older one with the bugs (mistakes in
keystrokes of some grantha characters in 3 places in the mim file)
which I had mentioned to this list few weeks back which were fixed
recently by m17n after I reported to them.

The relevant archived messages in m17n-lib mail-list group - see by
threads view at
http://www.m17n.org/mlarchive/m17n-lib/200610/threads.html. In that,
the message no.380 : [m17n-lib:00380] being my first reporting of the
errors; then some follow up short discussions in  message nos. 381 to
385, 391 to 393 and my latest posting no. 406.

Well these m17n-lib archive messages do not seem to have rendering of
tamil utf8 contents  kept intact, but there are 2 screen shots used in
those messages from which you all can view the mistakes I had found
and reported:

i). http://i12.tinypic.com/2wq8gvk.png  - this the screen shot of my
first message (#380 of m17n-lib) showing the errors in 3 places of
ta-tamil.mim (and they are there in the file included in Mauran's
pack). As reported in the m17n-lib archive messages 391 and 392 these
bugs were fixed and committed to cvs in m17n downloads section

ii). http://i13.tinypic.com/2q2mwlh.jpg - this the screen shot of the
official site maintained by TamilVU at
http://www.tamilvu.org/Tamilnet99/annex2.htm for the display of the
keystrokes for tamil as what the Gov. of Tamil Nadu had enacted as
standard in 1999 (That particular site should be viewed with a TAB
font and User-Defined encoding selection if the tamil characters in it
have to be read)

This screen shot was taken before last week and had obvious typo
errors in 4 places. But during the course of of this past week after I
wrote to the webmaster of TamilVU about those typos, I got
confirmation  within 2 days that they have now corrected them. I then
have brought this to the attention of m17n-lib in message no. 406 in
above mentioned m17n-lib archive since their ta-tamil99.mim file
presently in cvs has introduced a tamil documentation of keystrokes
under a section for "description" in the mim file. They had verbatim
reproduced from the above Annexure-2 from TamilVU site avoiding the
typo errors in 3 places but not correcting the error under rule no. 5.

I am attaching to this the same mim file without all the above
mentioned errors and I named it bugfxd-ta-tamil.mim. You can use this
by renaming the file simply as ta-tamil.mim and copying it into the
/usr/share/m17n/  (that's the folder where Mauran also installing now)
to repalce the existing one.

The documentations under description section covers the first 8 of the
12 of what we have referred to  as the *12  rules* so far in this list
and which the TN government has listed as the 12 requirements for the
"Keystroke Sequences for the Phonetic Keyboard Tamil99".  As we can
see at  http://www.tamilvu.org/Tamilnet99/annex2.htm the sequence (or
rule) no. 12 is simply a freedom given to keyboard writer for
backspace and delete keys and as such that is  complied with any
keyboard. So this bugfixed mim file lacks compliance to only 9,10 and
11 still and which three, in my opinion are not difficult to add into
the mim file.

Whoever amongst us adds those extra sequences to the mim file should
make it a point to pass it along to the upstream m17n-lib project.

Will try testing Mauran's pack on fresh installation and report soon

~Sethu