[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]Using SCIM with Firefox & OpenOffice (in ubuntu 6.10)

Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:35:08 BST 2006

Mugunth

> SCIM பயன்படுத்தி textpadஇல் தமிழ் டைப் செய்ய முடிகிறது.
>
> ஆனால் இன்னமும் என்னால் பயர்பாக்ஸ் மற்றும் ஓப்பன்ஆபீஸ் மென்பொருட்களில் scim
> பயன்படுத்தி தமிழை உள்ளிட முடியவில்லை.

Are you using scim-tables (phonetic or inscript) and /or scim-m17n
when you mention you used SCIM?

In textpad you had used scim by right clicking "Input Method" then
chose scim then chose the tamil keyboard from the panel icon and
started typing, am I correct?

When using firefox and OO do you have the SCIM icon visible on panel
from which you can choose layouts?

Are you using on GNOME (which is what you get from standard ubuntu) or
have you got down KDE and trying on that? scim on GNOME is easier to
use than on KDE - (I am more gnome person anyway)

I have a feeling you may not be using a starting script that would
ensure scim is avavilable on desktop all the time.

Manual starting is using scim -d command on a terminal then launching
firefox or OO from that terminal.

But to have it automatically statrted when you start X, and use from
anywhere from desktop  a 4-line starting script file can be used. See
Mauran's posting in archive of this list at:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-tam/2006-October/000191.html

The contents of the attachment he mentions are seen on:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-tam/attachments/20061004/815fde40/attachment.obj

You can make a file having those lines into a file named
75custom-scim_init and copy it to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/  (- The archive
is not keeping attachments as files for donloading it appears).

Easier for you would be if Mauran is reading this (I see he has posted
a message now on your next question) he sends that file to you

I haven't checked inputting into FF but to OO it is OK. My testing was
all in the earlier BETA but updated upto current RC levels. In RC will
try today night

Will foll up later in the night if you need any further on this. Hope
Mauran addresses to this also in addition to on tamil99 for which he
is preparing.

~Sethu

This was discussed earlier last week (or before) with Mauran providing
 to this list starting script (75custom_init_scim