[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]முதற் கட்ட சோதனை

Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 07:08:33 BST 2006

Dear friends

Firstly Happy Deepavali and Ramzan seasonal greetings to all.

Yesterday under thread  "[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]இறுதி நேர சோதனைகள்" I listed what I
had found with my last week installation of Edgy Beta which had been updated
fully to current RC levels with actually so much more than what the basic CD
would provide.

I downloaded the iso for RC overnight and got it installed this morning - it
was very smooth.

I have chosen this thread "[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]முதற் கட்ட சோதனை" started by Shri
Ramadhas to present findings because what I now got onto is seeing what all
can be had only from the RC's cd iso - really this should be the first stage
investigation that Mauran's questions has raised; those that would help us
to shortlist what all one should include in any companion CD that could be
helpful for those users who have either no access or slow to very slow / not
so reliable Internet access

So, (since I use Synaptic PM for package managing) I un-marked all the
repositories in Synaptic, reloaded the change. On inserting the cd that was
burnt from iso and used in installation, it gets opened with Synaptic PM
with the CD as the only source. (See a screen shot at this point here:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2gy8tg1.png )

1. On Tamil Support
First thing I did was a search on Synaptic was what all are available for
"Tamil" -  as you can see from this scrn-shot
http://i11.tinypic.com/2e1vf6b.png (from right top side of Synaptic PM) only
the ttf-tamil-fonts package is provided by the CD and which I have
installed. The fonts provided are seen on the overlaid dialog box for
"Properties" of the package same as what I mentioned yesterday.

So really with CD only, the language support file would not get installed -
In fact looking at  /var/lib/locales/ folder I see only "en" and "local"
files are there. "ta" and none of the indic or other locales gets installed
by default  - in fact the only language support from cd are fonts for each
language.

The language support files are thus from the Main repo from Canonical. So
the  first requirement for inclusion companion CD for tamil user would be
the support file(s) for Tamil!

2) Firefox rendering
In the absence of tamil or any of the Indic locale the firefox launcher
script looks for, Firefox keeps pango *disabled* as the default. So as Shri
wrote today there is no rendering taking place.

If we are not having access to the repository to bring language support file
for tamil or any other indic ones or we do not have any other means of
making those locale files in /var/lib/locales/ folder so that Firefox
automatically works with Pango enabled , then the only solution we have is
to set MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO environment variable to zero (0) and then launch
firefox.

You mentioned in most recent message:

>  Epiphany can be tried. But we got solve this problem of firefox.

Firstly Epiphany is not in the CD and so has to be brought from Canonical
(Main) or Universe (I haven;t checked)  Under same enviromental conditions
of Pango being disabled, I have found earlier that for Epiphany it is old
variable that was in inverse manner: MOZ_ENABLE_PANGO and this should be set
to 1 for rendering to work in Ephiphany if the existing environment is Pango
disabled. It would have been less potentially confusing especially for
newbies if these had been based on same and one variable rather than two.

It is really not a bug or problem that we solve with setting the correct
environemental variable. It is just that firefox build for  Ubuntu has been
made on the principals that large majority  do not need  Pango enabled
browsing and so  to reduce starting times  natural default is without Pango
enablement, but the moment it detects inclusion of files for any one of the
indic languages it changes the default for that user to Pango enablement.
The locales and the language support files  are not really prerequisites in
the  technical sense to make rendering feasible but only to make the Firefox
to automate a step for us.

I will continue in the afternoon further - As already found by Shri
scim-tables with tables-additional are not in CD but is from Main repo. I
also foudn that even without language support pack rendering on OpenOffice
writer is working fine with lohit-tamil font. I used the XKB - inscript KB.

So Cya all again soon

~Sethu