[Ubuntu_Tamil] Wiktionary related..

Ravi shankar ravidreams_03 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 09:33:18 BST 2006

Tamil wiktionary can very well serve as a free tamil technical dictionary. Please see my blogpost at http://thamizhthendral.blogspot.com/2006/09/blog-post.html to know more about the functioning and possibilities of Tamil wiktionary.

Contents of Tamil wiktionary are free to use in any form bound by the GNU free docuentation license. So, there won't be any copyright issues to use Tamil wiktionary. Right now, one could directly access it online to know the meaning of words. In the near future, we plan to come up with downloadable database version of tamil wiktionary. People from this group can also give their inputs about the design and execution of this downloadable version of Tamil wiktionary. We are also in  the process of collecting  words from other online tamil dictionaries (Ex:Tamil Virtual University) and adding them to tamil wiktionary automatically. This would reduce the manual work. (We see that we don't copy the meanings or terms as it is from other
dictionaries as it may lead to copyright violation. Besides adding the
meanings, we give the pronunciation help, word classification, word
usage etc., Also, no one could copyright a word ! Then there is no logic in coining the word itself !!).

The same could be done for automatically adding tamil computing word lists. If you could give me the sources for such word lists, we would try to extract them and add to tamil wiktionary.

I will be always glad to help and answer any of your queries about working with Tamil wiktionary.

Ravi

  Ravishankar,
Ph.D Researcher,
CML-IE
P.O.Box 9518
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

  Contact number: +31 71 5275557 (Lab) or +31 630 888998 (mobile) +31 71 8909129 (home)