[Ubuntu_Tamil] help

Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 03:06:41 BST 2006

On 10/8/06, Tirumurti Vasudevan <agnihot3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> தெரியாத்தனமாக kmfl ஐ நிறுவிப் பாத்தேன் scim ஐ கணினி துவங்கும் போது
> துவக்க அமைத்தது இப்போ பிரச்சினை. பழகிய ctrl கட்டளைகள் வேலை
> செய்யவில்லை. இதை சீரமைப்பது அப்புறம் செய்யலாம். இப்போதைக்கு பழைய
> setting க்கு போக என்ன வழி?
> scim ஐ நிறுத்த கட்டளை என்ன?
> திவா

T.V. after my chatting with you past Thursday just before I left
office, during past 3 days (Friday was also holiday for us) I was too
involved with couple functions at home and was only able to read posts
off and on and it was not possible to get back to write on many
matters I should be (including my experinces with kmfl)- well, I will
be getting back on track soon.

Now regarding the problem you have.

I guess you used the installer package (consisting of debinaised
components packs and a installer.sh script file) for KMFL  available
from the sourceforge project site of kmfl. This smart installer in
addition to installing the components needed for KMFL (compiler,
library, the bridge to scim and related) carries out two other tasks
during the process.

First is if there has been no scim frame work installed before or an
older version(I think older than 1.4.0) it installs scim for you. Its
carrying of full scim pack is the reason why this installer package
for Ubuntu is large. If the user's already installed scim is later
than 1.4.0 (or watever the thresold version)  the installer offers an
option to upgrade or reinstall the scim to the version it carries
(1.44). Accepting or declining to update scim should not affect the
usability of kmfl thereafter.

Another task is offers as optional is to  create starting script
(75custom_scim-init) under /etc/X11/Xsession.d/  - if user has not
used this starting process before and wants to do so then user accepts
the offer for installer to do so.

The 75custom_scim-init file can be removed or reverted to a previous
file if back up is available.

However I am not sure if this (script file for starting could have
made the difference on the control keys   not working.

Can you tell us which ctrl commands are not working? In Gnome that I
always use, I use only one ctrl command when using scim -
ctrl+spacebar to get the scim keyboard switch between default (which
is english for me) and the tamil kb currently chosen. All other
choices and settings I use the mouse to point /select /click/ types of
activites on the scim panel. I have seen on the gui of settings that
there are many choices that can be made for hotkey switches.

If you tell which ctrl commands are not working it would be useful to
see that if they can be made functional again wihout much
difficulties.

I myself would not be come back on this till late night today. Hope
you won't feel let down.

Bye till then.

~Sethu