[Ubuntu_Tamil] எ-கலப்பை தமிழ்நெட் 99 - உபுண்டு தமிழ்நெட் 99 வேறுபாடுகள்

மு.மயூரன் mmauran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 17:42:55 BST 2006

//Mauran I need another clarification: For Dapper from where did you
install m17n basic packages, i.e., m17n-db and m17n-lib plus scim-m17n
bridge. Because I did not find any debianised binary or sources for
m17n in Ubuntu LTS 6.06 repositories or installer CD.//

compiled from the scratch.
I made some debs for them.

send you later

-M.Mauran

On 10/3/06, Sethu <skhome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> Pardon me, I am writing in english so that I would be quicker in these
>
> I have gone through Ravi's two postings one under this thread and the
> other 2 days back.
>
> As a general observation I think we have reached a stage that we have
> to sort and comaprtmentalize problems. Discussing all issues together
> in same mail can cause more confusions especially for beginners.
>
> In this mail only some points regarding m17n-contrib and "tamil99"
> layout for clarifications.
>
> Mauran said:
> > நாங்கள் scim இனையே தீர்வாக கொள்வோம்.
> >

> > 1. scim இற்கான தமிழ் 99 வடிவத்தை கண்டுபிடிக்கவேண்டும் (இருந்தால்) சேது
> > சொன்னபடி தேடிப்பார்த்தேன். உபுண்டு repositories இல் contrib பொதி இல்லை.
> அதனை
> > சேது எமக்கு அனுப்பிவைத்தால் நல்லது.
>
> The tamil99 I mentioned is actually from m17n-contrib which can be
> added to m17n back end of scim. Shall we avoid saying  "scim இற்கான
> தமிழ் 99" and say like "scim+m17n இற்கான தமிழ் 99" or something like
> that. Because when we refer to backend products as that of scim,
> beginners can be misled to think that all such backends are part and
> parcel of scim.
>
> Sorry I had not mentioned in my concerned earlier message that the tar
> ball for m17n-contrib is from the m17n download site. These
> contributions (m17n-phonetic, inscript and tamil99) were made by the
> same Red Hat team (Jens Peterson and others- they  were the ones who
> made earlier in 2005 the scim-tables phonetic and inscript packages).
> When they ported the phonetic and inscript from tables to m17n they
> also made m17n-ta-tamil99 sometimes in March 2006 and for some time it
> was in their (RedHat) repositories. Then it was upstreamed to m17n
> starting with being in cvs first and then as separate folder some
> weeks back (I think 2 months back)
>
> The URL site for m17n-contrib tarball is:
> http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib-download/m17n-contrib-1.0.0.tar.gz
>
> As it is tarball it has to be compiled and installed using the
> configure-make-make install 3 steps.
>
> And BTW, Mauran m17n-contrib is the place to which you should try to
> upstream your m17n-ta-ava.  Can do if you join m17n-lib mail-list and
> consult concerned persons in Japan (like Mr. Takahashi)
>
> Now about whether the tamil99 of m17n is more conforming than
> e-kallapai to the 12 rules of tamil99 standard of TN gov., I have to
> recheck at home today. Few weeks back when I checked different tamil99
> kbs in windows and linux I had found either the m17n's tamil99
> keyboard for Linux or BashaIndia's (Indic IME) tamil99 for Windows was
> performing better than e-kallapai for Windows and recollect it was
> only one of the two but not both. I do not remember these oofhand
> because I do not use tamil99 other than for testing (including my own
> make for scim-KMFL which I will share soon)
>
> Mauran I need another clarification: For Dapper from where did you
> [...]

visit my blog
http://www.mauran.blogspot.com