[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]Keyboard layouts contd...

Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 10:38:41 GMT 2006

On 11/7/06, ம.ராமதாஸ் <shriramadhas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sethu,
>
> I am eagerly awaiting your replies on Keyborad and their layouts...

I am also eager to find a 1-3 hour contiguous time period to sit down
and write ;>)

A brief preview on what I have in mind:

Firstly a briefing on encodings, keyboard layouts, keyboard methods
and fonts to highlight their differences and inter-relationships.

Then Methods and Layouts

1. Method: XKB
Layouts: Inscript (for unicode), Typewriter - New (for unicode, tscii, tam)

2. Method: GTK - IM
Layouts: Tamil VP, Anjal Uni both for unicode - few others - have to look again

3. Method: scim-tables
Layouts: Phonetic (which is like anjal or e-kallapai but not same),
Remington and Inscript - all for unicode

4. Method: scim-m17n
Layouts: itrans, tamil99, phonetic, inscript and avarangal - all for unicode

Only XKB boards in above some shipped with the cd - others need
inclusions of packages from repo and/or companion cd Muran is making.

A highlight on similarities / differences between layout/methods and
opinions of any duplications (for example phonetic and inscript of
m17n and scim-tables are more or less same functionally and so one
pair is superfluos). In case of tamil99 the degree of compliance to
tamil99 standard of TN government and what is left to be done to make
it fully compliant.

Other than above iiimf frame work (not much used but server is
available in ubuntu) and scim-kmfl (need more development) can be more
briefly mentioned

~Sethu