Fwd: Announcing the Ubuntu.com Website Localization Project

Dmitry Agafonov agafonovdmitry на gmail.com
Ср Мар 17 21:22:57 GMT 2010

Привет!

Finally, как говорится!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Johnston <chrisjohnston на ubuntu.com>
Date: 2010/3/17
Subject: Announcing the Ubuntu.com Website Localization Project
To: ubuntu-translators на lists.ubuntu.com, loco-contacts на lists.ubuntu.com

Good Day;

It is my pleasure to announce a new project to better the Ubuntu.com
website experience, specifically for users who prefer a language other
than English. The new project, called Website Localization [1] will
put a short (4-5 word) message on any www.Ubuntu.com web page
directing users to more resources in their preferred language.

This project has two main parts to it. The first part of the Website
Localization project is the technical aspect of the project. It is the
goal of the project to create a script that will pull out of a users
web browser their preferred language. After obtaining this
information, the script will cross reference this language against a
list of languages that have approved resources offered, and then
display a short link to their languages landing page.

The second part of this project is creating landing pages for as many
resources as possible. This part of the project will be done by LoCos
and the i18n team. The landing pages will be on the wiki, and will be
ever changing to direct users to the best information that we can give
them.

Currently, the goal is to have the project completed and implemented
by the end of May. I would also like to have a working demo of the
project by April 19th so that we have plenty of time to fix any
problems that arise prior to the final implementation of this project.

I can't do all of this myself, so I am going to need help from the
Ubuntu community. At this point, I need some assistance with the
technical side of the project. I need a few people to create the
script that will detect the users preferred language, and then show
them a link to the landing page in their language. If you have the
skills needed to help out with this Website Localization project,
please send me an email with your name, launchpad account, a little
bit of information about the experience you have and your general
ability (time zone, and anything else that may help me out). My goal
is to get a group of a few people to work on the technical aspect of
this project and have a meeting in the next few weeks to discuss the
project in a little more detail, and determine the best way to make
this happen.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/WebsiteLocalization

Respectfully,

Chris Johnston - cjohnston