Status of the Ubuntu Docs in Natty+Oneiric

David Planella david.planella op ubuntu.com
Wo Jul 13 09:40:09 UTC 2011

El dg 10 de 07 de 2011 a les 13:16 +0100, en/na Matthew East va
escriure:
> On 10 July 2011 10:29, Hannie <lafeber-dumoleyn2 op zonnet.nl> wrote:
> > Op 09-07-11 12:16, Matthew East schreef:
> >
> > For now it is worth translating gnome-user-docs (natty) because updates will
> > be shipped to this
> > package.
> >
> > I am still not convinced this is the case. I have translated 1000 (!)
> > strings of the gnome-user-docs in Launchpad, and I get updates regularly, bu
> > so far I do not see one word in Dutch when I press F1. For the translation
> > of a document as large as this one it is absolutely essential that it is
> > worth the effort. It would be very sad if all this work appears to be
> > useless.
>
> We can't export the translations regularly as the technology isn't
> suitable for that. We can only do occasional exports. The next
> language pack update is due on 21 July 2011. I will try to get the
> updates included in that update.

That's correct. Note that since you guys are now using the upstream
project and translations sharing, you can benefit from the Ubuntu
translations and get them committed automatically to the upstream
branch, without the need of manually exporting them as in the past.

That means that you can have translations done in Ubuntu updated daily
in the upstream branch. During the development cycle we're releasing
language packs weekly, so if you combine that with regular uploads of
the ubuntu-docs package (do not need to be weekly, perhaps biweekly or
monthly), these translations will make it to the language packs. This
way translators can see the result of their work on a regular basis and
react much quicker to fix mistakes.

I see that the Oneiric upstream series has not yet been opened, but
taking Natty as an example, you'll only need to change a couple of
settings to enable this workflow here:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs/natty/+translations-settings

On "Import settings", on the left:
      * Select "Import template files" (there is no need to import
        translation files if the translation is done in Launchpad)

On "Export translations to branch" on the right:
      * Choose a branch where to automatically commit the translations.
      * I'd recommend the main branch of the series for a more automated
        workflow, but you can also choose a separate branch for
        translations and manually merge it from time to time.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella