[Gruppo traduzione] Fwd: Semi-mechanizing the DTTP translations

Milo Casagrande milo a ubuntu.com
Gio 20 Dic 2012 07:29:28 UTC

FYI.

Per chi volesse portare avanti le traduzioni delle descrizioni dei
pacchetti (DTTP), di seguito è riportato un possibile workflow per
velocizzare il lavoro vista la quantità enorme di stringhe.
Se qualcuno volesse seguire più da vicino la cosa, si senta libero di
sperimentare!

Ciao!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pierre Slamich <pierre.slamich a gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Subject: Semi-mechanizing the DTTP translations
To: Ubuntu Translators <ubuntu-translators a lists.ubuntu.com>
Cc: ubuntu-fr-l10n <ubuntu-fr-l10n a lists.ubuntu.com>

The DDTP represent around 50 000 strings to translate * 140 languages.
On very good weeks, a typical translation team translates 500 strings
(see UWN for examples weekly figures).

Would take a lot of weeks (years?) with highly motivated volunteers of
a large translation team, working non-stop, at their best to get done
with it.
Thus we had the idea to delegate initial translation suggestions to
Google Translator Kit and review translations with humans to speed the
process.

We successfully did an import for circa 40 000 French strings  (yup
you read that right) this week-end in a mock project called DDTP
Automation (https://translations.launchpad.net/ddtpautomation).
To keep it short, the translations from this project appear as
suggestions in the French DDTP, and can be reviewed by actual
translators.
We've started using them, and it turns out that a lot of them are
actually useful and are speeding up the translation process a lot.

We detailed the (somewhat) tedious process in English at
http://lite.framapad.org/p/ddtpUbuntu
Questions and inquiries welcome.

Pierre

---